Saturday, October 27, 2012

Fourteenth Electric Smoke

This is our first try at an Electric Smoked Turkey. We want to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving in a few weeks. We could only find a frozen salt injected bird. We bought a 12.66 pound Kroger. We put it in the refrigerator on Tuesday to thaw.

We started the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker pre-heat at 7:21am on Saturday 10/27/12. The temperature was set at 225*F with no water in the pan and vent closed.

We started the preparation of the Turkey at 7:30. I put the bird on a cookie sheet to collect some of the juices. The Smoking was started at 8:00am with 2 trays of Cherry Wood Chips.

A tray of Cherry Wood was added at 9:00, 10:00 and 11:00am. I did not baste the Turkey. I let the skin turn to bark.
 
At 2:00pm we started 4 huge Idaho Potatoes. We are talking 1½ pound spuds.

I put the temperature probe in the Turkey. Wow, it is at 164*F. So much for the guy on the net who says that, “it takes 10 to 12 hours to smoke a Turkey at 235*F”.

I checked the temperature at 2:30pm and it was already past well done at 169*F. I pulled the Turkey at 6½ hours smoke time. I did a wiggle test on a Turkey leg to see if it is done.
 

At 4:00pm I put 4 un-shucked ears of Corn, 3 Goose Neck Squash and 4 Zucchini.  Look at those potatoes. They have been in there for 2 hours and are the size of a Nerf Football.
 
 
I pulled the Vegetables at 6:00pm.

Awesome Turkey. The meat is tender and juicy. It is just falling off the bones and the bones are coming apart.
 


 

1 comment:

  1. Eberlestock Dragonfly 2900 CI to 7900 CI Rock Veil pack and Natural Gear camouflage clothes.http://thebestgrillsever.com/best-electric-smokers-under-400

    ReplyDelete