Sunday, January 14, 2018

Base for LEM Sausage Stuffer

Our LEM 5 # Sausage Stuffer has to be gripped very tightly and still moves around when turning the handle to stuff casings. It comes with "C" clamps that would be great if we had a thin counter to fasten it on to.

The solution is to build a removable base that cleans up easily and is food friendly. 


I used an old wood cutting board that my mother-in-law let stay wet too long and warped it lengthwise. She gave it to me because she knows I recycle or refurbish all kinds of things. 


Well I found the perfect new life and purpose for the damaged board. I knew that because the bottom of the stuffer is flat that the stuffer would need to be elevated above the arched board to make it solid. I also needed to put skids under the ends to made it work on a flat counter. Skids move so I bought rubber non-skid feet for $1.50 at Wal-Mart. 


The skids are 1X3 select pine scraps from another project. I put Elmer’s Wood Glue on the ends and used my brad nailer to attach it to the cutting board then I put short brads in the gun and shot the sticky backed non-skids pads to the skids.


Well then I looked in my scrap nuts and bolts and looked for a set of 4 bolts with wing-nuts that would spin in the clear of the stuffer base for easy attachment and removal. I found a set of 4 commercial electrical section panel door seal-able studs. The holes in the stuffer are way larger than the studs, but the hex nuts are crowned perfectly to center the holes when the wing-nuts are tightened down finger tight. Awesome!!!!

Total cost is a couple bucks when you add the brads, glue and cutting board sealing oil. Everything else was just collecting dust.

After the glue dries, I'll seal the new base with cutting board edible grade mineral oil for easy clean-up the next time I use the stuffer. We have Javelina tags for a HAM (handgun, archery and muzzleloader) hunt coming up in a couple weeks, so it won't be long.

No comments:

Post a Comment