Sunday, January 7, 2018

Smoking Javelina Sausage Archery 2018

My son and I both got drawn for Archery Javelina for January 2018. There were left over permits and bought another set of Javelina tags for a HAM (handgun, archery and muzzleloader) next month.

We both filled our archery Javelina tags. My son got an old boar on the second day and I got a 4 year old sow the next day.

My son is shooting a carbon riser Hoyt bow that sent the NAP Killzone Trophy Tip mechanical broadhead that deployed before entry blasting through both shoulder blades bones, split both ribs horizontally, cut a pencil sized limb off of a mesquite tree, trimmed some catclaws before stopping 40 yards away. The boar had 2 inch wide entry and exit holes. He shot his boar before going into work, packed it back to the truck and back to my home. I took care of the skinning and gutting so I got to see every detail of the Killzone.

A poacher tried and failed to kill my sons boar a few years ago. That is why the Javelina live in such rugged, steep and brush covered country. The Poacher Pellet from and air rifle did not brake a bone and get to the lungs of this boar. The dreadlocks big city thugs live in their cars and vans, leave trash and destruction behind. They poach and have campfires when there is a No Fire Ban active. These modern day Gypsies are not forced into anything, they choose their lawless, drug filled, living in tents and cars lifestyle. The picture below is of the poachers pellet.


My wife and son did all the butchering, vacuum sealing, grinding of the tough meat, seasoning and stuffing the casing for Javelina Sausage. I got home after working 12 hours at crime scene in Oak Creek Canyon where I made the area electrically safe and assisted in the removal of a pickup truck off of the overhead powerlines. After the violent crazy drug addict did not kill anyone with his truck he tried to injure and kill anyone around him. Luckily a US Forest Service Ranger showed up and tried to use non-lethal means of stopping the “suspect” finally ended up shooting and killing him. You can read more about it in the news. If you look at CNN you can read about fake news that never happened.

My wife and son modified the Javelina Sausage recipe from last year. In 26 pounds of ground meat from both Javelina they doubled the recipe, added 3 pounds of cheddar cheese and 1/2 pound of Asiago cheese, added 4 cups less pickling liquid, 1/2 cup garlic powder and added a 20 ounce jar of jalapeno's including  the liquid. When it isn't in the kitchen you just modify to taste.

The 2018 Javelina Jalapeno Sausage recipe:

26 pounds of fine ground Javelina
1/2 Cup - Sea Salt Ground
1/2 Cup - Black Pepper Ground
1 Cup - Onion Powder
2 Tablespoon - Cayenne Powder
4 Tablespoons - Paprika Powder (Simple Truth Oraginic brand)
2 Cup - Brown Sugar
1 at 20 ounce jalapeno's including liquid
1/3 Cup - Fresh Minced Garlic (1 Head)
1/2 cup garlic powder (not garlic salt)
3 pounds Cheddar Cheese
1/2 pounds of Asiago Cheese

Well I got home just in time to get my smoker out and put about half of the Javelina Jalapeno Cheese Sausage into the smoker. Notice the air space between the sausage's for an even smoke infusion.


At 1:30 pm after I put the sausages in the 30" Masterbuilt Digital Smoker, I added 1 tray of mesquite chips (from my acreage) and 1 tray of apple chips. I set the temperature at 150*F, the time to 6 hours, no water in the dip pan and the top air vent open. I ate some breakfast and then got caught up on so much needed sleep.

At 2:30 and at 3:30 pm my wife added apple wood chips.

At 4:00 my son noticed that there was no smoke coming out of the vent and added mesquite apple wood mixed.

I woke up and was informed of the lack of smoke coming out of the smoker. I'd seen this before in this electric smoker when smoking at lower temperatures on warm sunny days. 

At 5:15 pm I raised the heat setting to 155*F and removed the bayonet tray to allow oxygen to get to the chips. Chips in an electric smoker are ignited when the burner comes on. Because it was a sunny unseasonably warm day the burner was not cycling and coming on. Within seconds the chips began to smoke again. 


At 5:26 the chips were re-ignited and burning on their own. I put the bayonet back in before the chips burst into flames.

11 minutes later the smoker internal temperature was at 163*F because of all the chips that were heating  the smoker instead of the electric burner. The smoke was bellowing out of the top vent now.

At 6:00 pm the temperature settled back down to 155*F. I closed the vent on top to hold as much smoke in as possible.

At 6:42 there was no more smoke coming from the smoker. I opened the front smoker door and checked the sausage. The internal temperature of the sausage was perfect and the casings look like they do with an uneventful smoking.


Another batch of fantastic Javelina Jalapeno Cheese Sausage.

We will be stuffing the rest of the casing and do the final smoking on Monday or Tuesday when I get home from work.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment